How it works
Tegritol blocks sodium channels that reduce post tetanic contractions. This leads to sedative, anti depressant and neuro muscular blocking actions.
Guidelines for usage
Follow the dosage instructions provided by your doctor or as mentioned in the instruction booklet/product label.
Always use only as prescribed. Never exceed the dosage.
Tegritol may be used with or without food.
Doctors recommend that you swallow the whole tablet/capsules with a glass of water unless it is specified that it can be broken or chewed.
NOTE: Use only if prescribed to you and intended for your use. Do not share with others.
It is common for people to forget their dosage times and miss doses.
Do not panic if you have missed a dose.
Instead, skip the missed dose and take your next dose at the scheduled time. Do not double up or take more than what the doctor has prescribed.
How & where do I store Tegritol?
The medicine label contains detailed instructions regarding safe storage of the medication. Most medicines are best stored at room temperature between 15 and 30 degrees C (59 and 86 degrees F). Some medications may require to be refrigerated. Please check the product label.
Keep it away from the reach of children. Ensure that it is not exposed to direct sunlight or moisture.
Ask your pharmacist about safely disposing off medication that is past expiry date.
Overdose Related Information
If you accidentally consume more medication than what was prescribed, then contact an emergency healthcare center immediately.
Safety Information/ Warning Precautions
Discuss your medical history with your healthcare provider before you start using any new medication.
Ensure that you mention the following:
• Any prior serious ailment, lifestyle disease or surgery
• All the prescription drugs, OTC health supplements, herbal supplements that you are using currently
• Your alcohol intake and whether you smoke or not
• conditions like hyper tension,heart diseases, high cholesterol, kidney disorders,lives problems ,thyroid problems, blood disorders or any mental illnesses
• Any history of a known allergic reaction to prescription drugs or food
This will allow your healthcare provider to prescribe the apt dosage of the medication for you.
To be avoided
You must avoid using Tegritol if it you are allergic to any ingredient in it or if you have a history of bone marrow suppression
Tegritol is known to cause drowsiness or dizziness. Your vision may be blurred and your judgement affected if you consume alcohol with this medication. So, avoid using alcohol while using Tegritol.
These effects may also get aggravated due to hot weather or fever or severe exercise. So, be cautious when you stand up after a long time from a sitting or lying position. If you feel giddy then lie down immediately and seek medical help.
Possible Drug & Food Interactions
Certain prescription drugs or health supplements or even food items are known to interact with the effects of medications. Tegritol is known to have possible interactions with the following medications.
• Amitriptyline (elavil, vanatrip, limbitrol),
• Desipramine (norpramin),
• Imipramine (tofranil),
• Nortriptyline (pamelor)
Tegritol may also cause serious effects on the stomach or intestines, including bleeding or perforation (forming of a hole). These conditions can be fatal and can occur without warning while you are taking ibuprofen, especially in older adults.
If you notice symptoms like black, bloody, or tarry stools, or coughing up blood or vomit that looks like coffee grounds, then stop using Tegritol and seek emergency medical care.
Important Information for Pregnant Women
Tegritol is categorized under FDA pregnancy category D. Do not use the drug if you are pregnant.
Discuss the potential risks with your healthcare provider before using the medication.
Certain medications may be found in breast milk so speak to your child’s doctor to rule out any possibilities of risk.
Report the following side effects to your doctor only if they become bothersome or do not stop on their own
• dizziness, drowsiness,
• nausea, vomiting, feeling unsteady;
• dry mouth, swollen tongue; or
• loss of balance or coordination
The following side effects require immediate medical attention. So report these to your doctor immediately.
• nausea, upper stomach pain, itching, loss of appetite, dark urine, clay-colored stools, jaundice
• little or no urinating;
• swelling, rapid weight gain;
• problems with your fingernails or toenails
• severe skin reaction -- fever, sore throat, swelling in your face or tongue, burning in your eyes, skin pain, followed by a red or purple skin rash that spreads and causes blistering and peeling.
• fever, tired feeling, weakness, confusion, pale skin, feeling light-headed or short of breath;
• easy bruising, unusual bleeding (nose, mouth, vagina, or rectum), purple or red pinpoint spots under your skin;
• slow, fast, or pounding heartbeats;
• confusion, vision problems, hallucinations;